HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dog training for pheasant
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
gselkhunter
Typical Buck

There is no date to start a dog hunting. Each dog is different. I just put down my 13yr old GSP from a stroke back in April. She was steady to wing, shot and fall at 6 months old. Had her first point and retrieve on our very first trip out. Each dog learns at its pace remember that. Training starts as soon as they come home[I like them at 7 weeks]. The first and most important thing is their name. I use their name with each command.
You need to decide how you want your dog trained. Steady to wing and shot or wing shot and fall, with or without a E-collar[I use a collar]. My main commands are come, whoa, fetch, heel, kennel and potty.

Come is done with a long leash, let the pup out call name and come and drag the pup back to you. They will learn this quick, DON”T FORGET THE PRAISE!

Whoa[or whatever word you use for it] is learned from day one. They learn to wait for food at the bowl or to come out of the kennel. Formal whoa is learned at the post and over birds on lead.

Fetch starts with a sock in a short narrow hallway as a game.

Kennel works for home and truck, there are a couple different ways to teach it.

Heel is pretty simple.

Potty is a better command than most know. Every time you pup goes potty tell them they did good “Good Potty”. Once you start to travel with your dog, hit the rest station tell them potty and they know why they are out of the truck.

For the first year of hunting I don’t hunt with any other dog or person. If the situation isn’t right I don’t shoot at the bird. If I want steady to wing and shot for sure. Steady to fall is great control of your dog but maybe not the greatest if you’re not a great shot.
There are other higher teachings for a dog but this is a good start. Make a plan and stick with it. One command at a time, repetition makes it work. I make sure they have it in the yard before I try it in the field.