HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - am i missing something?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Blackelk
Typical Buck

I've always thought the same thing about a 270 win at 500 yards. Staying out of the wildcats and the magnum classes. Load an accurate 270 win round to max or close to max with a good boat tail bullet and it retains enough velocity to over power most heavier bigger bore rifles at 500yards. Not a standard 3060 fps 270 win load but a nice 3200 fps load will rock the foot lbs at 500 yards compared to a lot of other factory loads using the slower heavier bullet. I've never tried to debate what makes a great long range load. Most will opt for a heavy stable bullet but in my experience staying around the 500yard to 600yard mark, I prefer light fast and energy retained down range. I personally have shot a lot of game at the 400, 500+ yard range. I'll take a fast boat tail hands down. And without a bullet compensating scope you don't have to make severe bullet drop mathematics's in your head. Lots of people state that the 270 win is not a good long range hunting cartridge. Actually loaded right the 270 win has magnum class retained energy approaching the 500yard mark compared to a lot of calibers not in the magnum class. I'm a fan of it and I load my 300 win mag the same range. At close range your going to zip through any animal so put it where it is supposed to go and who cares if it walks another 50ft before realizing it's dead already. Oh well some hard headed people like me drag my feet into the future. It's okay I still get my animals.