Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
am i missing something? >

am i missing something?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

am i missing something?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do you shoot a lot of deer at 500 yards? Boy I love that question. Obvioulsy the answer is NO. But the fact remains that the 30-06 is more than capable of performing this task. The shooter is the one that needs the practice. And I really need to emphasis this fact. If you haven't practiced at these ranges, you have no business shooting at an animal that far away. And there may be a time when you may have no other choice than to take a shot at 400 or 500 yds or let the animal walk. I've hunted for over 45 years and shot a lot of critters. Out of all these animals, 4 were shot between 300 and 350 yds, and one out to almost 450. All of these were one shot kills and all with a standard 270 Win. Almost every other animal was shot under 100 yds.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jdhogg
......i was just thinking how many times ive been told the 30-06 is too small for hunting larger animals......i was on another site and they preached the need for a 338 or larger.i was commenting on the ability of the 06......
It's true that bigger can be better.It's just as true that "bigger and better" is usually more than necessary.People will criticize your choice in most cases to justify or feel better about their own.You've discovered what many more should."If it works,stick w/it."
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Do you shoot a lot of deer at 500 yards? Boy I love that question. Obvioulsy the answer is NO. But the fact remains that the 30-06 is more than capable of performing this task. The shooter is the one that needs the practice. And I really need to emphasis this fact. If you haven't practiced at these ranges, you have no business shooting at an animal that far away. And there may be a time when you may have no other choice than to take a shot at 400 or 500 yds or let the animal walk. I've hunted for over 45 years and shot a lot of critters. Out of all these animals, 4 were shot between 300 and 350 yds, and one out to almost 450. All of these were one shot kills and all with a standard 270 Win. Almost every other animal was shot under 100 yds.

to answer yer question,yes i do shoot alot,living in the desert we have the chance to shoot longer ranges.here the shots can be from 75 yrds to 400 yrds wether it be the mountains or out on the flats so it just depends.