HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help Bears chasing out deer!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Mr. Deer Hunter
Banned

bears are animals of opportunity.

About all I can say about them is that the eat, drink, sleep and poop.

They are not a beneficial animal in the animal kingdom.

Because of probably a lack of bears, the game commission in your area chooses not to hunt them. As a matter of fact, they went so far as to tell you that putting up a bait station in your area was the wrong thing to do.

Because I don't know where you live, I can't tell you all the particulars, but if you lived in Pennsylvania, bears usually stay awake until after the end of deer rifle season - only due to the fact that they know that gut piles is a excellent source of protein and when you live in a state where 750,000 hunters takes to the woods for the first day of rifle season, it leaves a lot of gut piles on the ground for them to gobble up.

Normally bears eats nuts and berries and tries to gorge themselves on what ever they can find to eat and then they leave and move on.
A bear normally travels as far as 20 miles in one day searching for food. But as hibernation time comes around, they will look for apple orchards and places of opportunity = where they can get an easy meal and then crawl in a brush pile or blow down tree or what ever cover they can find to den up and will not leave a 100 acre area.

I blame the media as much as anyone for convincing people that the only way to hunt deer is to put up a feeder and sit beside it and shoot. Traditionally in the old days a man would post, still hunt or put on drives to get deer. Today with people trying to keep deer on their property all the time - most of those traditional styles of hunting is out - because they are afraid of chasing their deer onto someone elses property and having someone shoot "their" deer.

I guess the solution is to hunt where the deer are and not where the feeder is at. As long as the feeder is there - you don't have to worry about the bears being someplace else.