Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Help Bears chasing out deer!!! >

Help Bears chasing out deer!!!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Help Bears chasing out deer!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Spike

Exclamation Help Bears chasing out deer!!!

We have a feeder up and we have rigged it to keep the bears off of it. But, they(3-5 bears a night) are camping out in the area and keeping the other animals(deer,turkey,& hogs) from being able to come in to it. No hunting season down here for them and Wildlife management just tells you to remove the feeders. Thought about trying to lure them into another area, but unsure as to how. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Archery season starts this Saturday (09/18/10)!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bring in some alligators to eat the bears?
This thought processs shoulda been done a long time ago and it's a little late now.Feeders might bring in animals you want and some and you don't want.You need BACK UP plans dude, hopefully you learn a lesson and don't do this again.Obviously this was done at the last minute and your just seeing the results of it.And I don't mean the feeder installed.I mean your thought process with no thought.Either purchase more feeers but it's a little late, cause their diet will change or move itin hopes that they wil go there.Best bet send in dogs to chase off the bears off now. Or hire that Billy the exterminated guy to get rid of them for yeah.Hound Dogs will and do work on bears, and deer don't seem to mind dog scent and sound so long as they aren't the ones being chased.Hound dogs are your best bet deer hogs and turkey will be back pretty quick (not by the time the season starts) but within a week in a half or so, you should see more game activity you want to hunt.I don't know if bears winter down there, but they will stay around to get fat for as long as they have to, before they do have to bed for the winter. So yeah you have to act fast.And remember bears in general, do winter need the fat buildup,and you need back up plans.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-18-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Spike

Someone decided to help me and my dad out by spraying Deer Off all over our food plot and under the feeder!!!! We haven't had a picture of anything for a week. I moved two cameras to try to get some photos of the person(s) that did this. We now know that if it eats plants(corn) it will be pushed out by Deer Off. I know this is what they used because I found an empty bottle in the ditch about 50 yards from the trail to the plot and feeder.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

To get the bears to leave go and put out some jelly donuts and the like about 2 miles away from where you are going to be hunting. The bears will follow thier nose and be gone. Prolly get the donuts from Dunken Donuts down your way. Ask them if you can have some that they are going to throw away. Should be easy to get a mess of donuts and the like in your area for this purpose. Good luck to you.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Typical Buck

That's a pretty interesting problem you got. No matter what you put out the bears will come to it now I'm thinking. Even if you put out a bait station for the bears away from your deer bait station all the smaller bears will be hitting your deer station as they get kicked off by the bigger bears at the other one.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Simple solution is to pick up the deer feeders for a few days. The deer will not come around until most of the bear scent is gone anyways. Then with the jelly donuts and the like all the bears will move on to where the donuts are waiting. That is unless there is a lot of berries nearby. Then there is not much you can do to get rid of them.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Aw shucks I just re-read your post and realized you can't hunt them. I'm leaving my original post below because I think it's funny

Easy solution:

1- Get a bear license.

2- Shoot a bear.

3- The others will leave, or if they don't bring in one of your friends who has a bear license.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

I think your only chance of getting them to leave is to pick up the feeders and quit feeding them. You may get them to leave otherwise if you start shooting them with non lethal rubber bullets if that is legal in your area.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Banned

bears are animals of opportunity.

About all I can say about them is that the eat, drink, sleep and poop.

They are not a beneficial animal in the animal kingdom.

Because of probably a lack of bears, the game commission in your area chooses not to hunt them. As a matter of fact, they went so far as to tell you that putting up a bait station in your area was the wrong thing to do.

Because I don't know where you live, I can't tell you all the particulars, but if you lived in Pennsylvania, bears usually stay awake until after the end of deer rifle season - only due to the fact that they know that gut piles is a excellent source of protein and when you live in a state where 750,000 hunters takes to the woods for the first day of rifle season, it leaves a lot of gut piles on the ground for them to gobble up.

Normally bears eats nuts and berries and tries to gorge themselves on what ever they can find to eat and then they leave and move on.
A bear normally travels as far as 20 miles in one day searching for food. But as hibernation time comes around, they will look for apple orchards and places of opportunity = where they can get an easy meal and then crawl in a brush pile or blow down tree or what ever cover they can find to den up and will not leave a 100 acre area.

I blame the media as much as anyone for convincing people that the only way to hunt deer is to put up a feeder and sit beside it and shoot. Traditionally in the old days a man would post, still hunt or put on drives to get deer. Today with people trying to keep deer on their property all the time - most of those traditional styles of hunting is out - because they are afraid of chasing their deer onto someone elses property and having someone shoot "their" deer.

I guess the solution is to hunt where the deer are and not where the feeder is at. As long as the feeder is there - you don't have to worry about the bears being someplace else.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Spike

quote: "bears are animals of opportunity.

About all I can say about them is that the eat, drink, sleep and poop.

They are not a beneficial animal in the animal kingdom."

100% Wrong!!! An absolutely foolish statement...
All large predators fill a niche in healthy ecosystem.
Coyotes, bobcats, mt. lions, bears, birds of prey, all play a role. An DO NOT just eat, sleep an poop. You forgot breed as well.

They live in FL, the bears there DO NOT go to sleep! If you keep feeding them, they will continue to show.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.