HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain nikons side focus?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 PM
1jimbojimbo
Spike

Default Can someone explain nikons side focus?

I just bought a Nikon Monarch III 3x12x42 SF with bullet drop compensation. It is on my new Savage 30-06 116 FCSS. I went to site it in at 100 yards and everything went great! I guess I didn't completely understand the whole idea of Nikon's Side Focus. I have always thought that a typical rifle scope's basic focus's were enough to do anything, so what does this add? It has been on "100" and that seems to work right at 100 yards (the options are 50,60,75,100,150,200,300,500,1000 and infinity). Every piece of literature I look at that came with the new scope says nothing really at all about it. So when, or what situations would call for an adjustment on the Side Focus? Do the numbers on it mean yards?
I guess I just want to know because the less I have to dink around with when in the heat of the moment, the better! Sorry if this is a ridiculously stupid question, but I'm just not getting it and when i adjusted it at the range, I saw no visible* difference?!? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Jim

Last edited by 1jimbojimbo; 09-06-2010 at 08:04 PM.