Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Can someone explain nikons side focus? >

Can someone explain nikons side focus?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Can someone explain nikons side focus?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default Can someone explain nikons side focus?

I just bought a Nikon Monarch III 3x12x42 SF with bullet drop compensation. It is on my new Savage 30-06 116 FCSS. I went to site it in at 100 yards and everything went great! I guess I didn't completely understand the whole idea of Nikon's Side Focus. I have always thought that a typical rifle scope's basic focus's were enough to do anything, so what does this add? It has been on "100" and that seems to work right at 100 yards (the options are 50,60,75,100,150,200,300,500,1000 and infinity). Every piece of literature I look at that came with the new scope says nothing really at all about it. So when, or what situations would call for an adjustment on the Side Focus? Do the numbers on it mean yards?
I guess I just want to know because the less I have to dink around with when in the heat of the moment, the better! Sorry if this is a ridiculously stupid question, but I'm just not getting it and when i adjusted it at the range, I saw no visible* difference?!? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Jim

Last edited by 1jimbojimbo; 09-06-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

the side focus will take out parralax at given ranges, that will improve your long range accuracy and close up high magnification work. the numbers are in yards. if you have good eyes you can use the side focus as a rangefinder. simply focus the scope on the target and see what range your at on the dial. focus adjustments are just there for high magnification when your depth of field (acceptable focus) is more touchy. if you in the heat of the moment, you likely wont be in the high end of your scopes magnification and thus you will have no need to touch the focus dial. hope this helps
Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hope this helps

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/...07/index1.html

I wish all scopes had side adjust Parallax !