HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dove Hunting with Steel Shot
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 PM
ACutting
Fork Horn

Default Dove Hunting with Steel Shot

In Indiana they have made it a requirement that you hunt Dove on State land with steel shot. But I am experiencing alot of issues with the steel shot. To start with there is very few options on the market so far all I can find is Winchester in a #6 Steel. Which if following the rule for ducks and geese is about the right size for doves considering I was using #7 1/2 in lead. But I seem to be crippling alot more birds with the steel than I am killing which upsets me greatly I don't like seeing birds fly off 150-200 yards then fall out of the sky. I can't retrieve them and to me that is just a waste of an animal. I'm sure I'll get some replies simply stating that I'm a bad shot but that is not what is happening here I'm seeing bird being pummelled by the shot then recover fly off and die. Its like you either hit them in the head and they die or they don't die rapidly with the steel. I thought about getting some Hevi Shot in a small size like their Pheasant loads but I can't afford that type of shooting 2.00-2.50 per shot when the average person kills 1 dove for every 3-5 shots fired. I can buy alot of chickens for that money. Thanks in advance for any advice!