Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Dove Hunting with Steel Shot >

Dove Hunting with Steel Shot

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dove Hunting with Steel Shot

Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Proper shot placement and waiting till they come in to a shootable distance is always going to bring home more birds.

I think that is where the problem is. People are used to knocking birds down at 50 yards with lead no problem, thats not gonna happen every time with steel. Using better judgement will help out alot.

3-5 birds per box of shells is kind of sub par. you guys need to practice a little more maybe shoot some skeet.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Spike

Something more and more F&W&A are doing is making shell limits. Tri-County it is 35 shells. Kanakee it is 50 shells. GREAT ! Want to up your odds of hitting doves? Pratice with shell shot. Don't take those hail mary shots. I have seen so many hunters at these public places SKY BUST really bad. ( Worse duck hunting)Making good shots bring down you avg on birds per box of shells. Man stay away from high powered shells on public places. To many shoot down range were others are posted. Hunting on private land, shoot T shot for all I care, but on public NO# 6 is the limit for a good reason. SAFETY!! Unbelievable that price for other, than steel shells you need in a lead free place. Maybe some have $5.00 for each shell, sure wish I could( wouldn't) but would be nice to be able to waste money that way. Really learn your range, pick good shots and hunt safe. Have fun ! Any of you still see any birds? Worse year I have ever seen at Kankee on opening day this year . NO birds to waste shells on, and limit out there about every year on the 1st or 2nd. ???