HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bedding/floating etc...
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
take it to a smith, have the action bedded along with the recoil lug and 2" of barrel, float the rest. also ya may consider havin it pillared if its a heavy barrel.
Now I know ya was looking foreward to doin it yourself, trust me its not worth it, smiths know how much compound to use to make a good job, they've done it enough to be able to do it neatly. what they can do in 45 min takes me 6-7 hours to docause they bed 1 a month and I do one every 3-4 years.
RR

...........RR is correct. Iff'n you don't know what you're doin', go to a good 'smith. Actions can be a bit of a bugger to get right for an old hand at it, and Rems are one of the easiest to do. Recoil lugs need bedded and relieved on all sides but the rear. Uniform clearances need established around the action to ensure equal shrinkage as the compound firms up. 2" of barrel need solid bedded with the action, the rest of the barrel needs free-floated with adequate clearance to protect against stock contact due to humidity and warpage. I favor bedding the hogged-out barrel channel also. It helps stiffen the forend and provides a good impervious seal against moisture. But, if you're set about doing it yourself, there are sites you can access to guide you thru it, and tell you what in the way of equipment you will need. Good luck. It's a lot more involved than it first appears.....