HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what rifle do you reccomend?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Ryan Campbell
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If shooting long range (500 yds) is what you really like, stay at the range. If you want to get into deer hunting, I recommend your first priority is becoming a deer hunter. In just about every kind of terrain there is, a good hunter can put himself much closer than 500 yards from his deer. I consider half that range a very long shot. In fact I've never shot a deer much over 100 yds.

IMO, hunting should be about the hunt, not the length of the shot, regardless of your ability to hit at long range. What have you done when you shoot a deer that far away? You didn't hunt it, all you did was make a long shot.
+1.
500yds is on the outside of how far you should be shooting deer. Remember, when you have to track him he's alreay over a quarter of a mile from you before you ever find where you shot him. Then the trailing blood part starts.
A 7mm is a good round for distance but not so much for in close shots. Too much speen and too little engergy displaced into the animal at short distances. I'd start with a 30-06 or a .308. If you're looking for a "tactical" rifle to hunt with be prepared for the weight of the rifle and it will almost have to be a .308 to fit into what you are looking for.