HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hanging a tree stand safely
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 AM
YooperMike
Nontypical Buck

I use my Lineman's belt when hanging stands. It allows you to use two hands to get the stand set, as well as being the safest way to do it. I'm a big guy (6'10" 340 lbs) so i'm not going to be up there dancing around on limbs and trapeezing around getting stands hung, and the lineman's belt works very well for me. I use Big Game QuickStiks in the 20' model for all my stands. I really like the angle on the steps, just feels safer to me than steps that go straight out. I'm DONE using screw ins or bolts. Three years ago, I broke one and lacerated my liver getting hooked in the gut by the one below it. Not a good deal at all. So, all quicksticks for me. I hang my ladder with the lineman's belt, fastening the straps as I go up. My height allows me to reach way up, so I can usually fasten one of the ladder straps long before I need to put any weight on the unstrapped sections. I use a rope to raise the stand up, and just get the stand at least strapped to the tree loosely before worrying about position or anything. It'll take a little practice, and I would practice in the yard about 1 foot off the ground the first time, just to get the footwork/handwork down a little bit.