HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear Cub Killers
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 05:09 PM
DARKSIDE55
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PA Big Game Hunter
I like how you keep taking shots at me when in reality I probably have seen more black bears then you.
I usually don't respond to these kind of threads and I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't live in Pa. But a Black bear is a Black bear. I've been an outfitter providing Black bear hunts for 35 years. I've shot several hundred myself. Whether they be nuisance bears, aggressive bears at my baits or bears I wanted for meat and mounts. None of them have ever been wasted. All meat was used and all hides used. They've ranged in size from 725 lbs. to 100 lbs.

I have clients that come here with the express intent of shooting a bear of 150 lbs or less for meat. I have other guys that come up here looking for a world record. Our bear population has exploded in the last 5 to 10 years due to the cancellation of the spring bear hunt and a limit of 1 per hunter. This is July 28th, so far I have had 18 bears in camp doing a lot of damage. I've had my clients take all garbage inside the cottages and all other garbage is transported out daily. I had a sow with 2 cubs go right through the front door, that's storm door and inside door, with 5 people in the cottage, lights on and talking. Lucky, no one was hurt and we didn't have to kill any of the bears because they left through the 8 ft. picture window.

I about 3 weeks our season opens. My clients are allowed to take any bear they wish. I advise them all how to judge the size and weight of the animal but whether it's their first bear or their 10th, adrenaline, excitement or pure achievement that gets a bear shot, I couldn't tell you. Probably all of the above.

But as long as you paid your money for your license and you are not doing anything illegal, no one, including you has a right to tell a hunter what and what not to shoot. If you don't like what's going on in Pa. spend some money and change some laws or quit hunting.