HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another way to ruin hunting
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Father Forkhorn
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Corpsman45
I agree with the OP. I'm 26, and just getting into hunting. My Dad and I used used to go out, but really all we ever did was go for a hike and maybe take a potshot at a squirrel or little bird with the .22 or pelet rifle. I got a squirrel, once. In 26 years. So most everything I've learned has been through trial and error, and that's not much. In a few months I'll be moving to a nice new area in the middle of the woods with nothing else to do, so I'll be teaching myself. It's not like I have anyone to teach me or mentor me, so I'll be making a ton of mistakes, and the kind of harsh critisism I get from some of my peers can be really aggrivating and discouraging. It's true that most people making these mistakes are just inexperienced with no way to know better. And as far as size goes, if I take ANY size deer, I'll be happy. Hell, I'd be happy if I got a rabbit!
Good luck, Corpsman! The basics are these: Be safe, Stay downwind, stay quiet, stay still. This is a great place to learn about it. It helps to read everything you can get your hands on as well.

Some big mistakes when it comes to wounded deer:

1. Not taking a good shot. Make sure you're putting it right behind the shoulder. Be sure to study up on shot placement. There's good article on this site and it's good to imagine this if you happen to see some deer in the offseason. Imagine where you'd put the the shot.

2. Not waiting long enough after a shot. Deer will often run even when shot through the heart and lungs. Give them at least a half hour before following them. Believe me, when you shoot your first one, you'll be utterly juiced on adrenaline and you'll want to get to the deer immediately. Resist every temptation to follow for at least thirty minutes. Give them time to lie down to die. And be sure to put your gun back on "safe."

Again, read up on this. If you happen too shoot one in the paunch, you're talking a wait of hours. Four at minimum. Overnight is even better.

The one exception is if for some reason you have to follow to avoid losing the deer e.g. a snow storm is on the way that will cover the blood and tracks. Be ready to shoot if the deer gets up.

3. Don't be too quick to assume you missed. Deer may not bleed much. My first was a doe shot through both lungs and she ran 30 yards and lay down in a ditch and never left a drop of blood, clipped hair, a piece of flesh, or anything. She just flinched, stuck her tail out at the shot, and took one hop into the brush. After my 30 min. wait and not finding any blood or anything, I was wondering if I'd missed. I replayed the shot in my head and concluded she'd reacted to something. I also felt my aim was true as I was shooting off a rest. I just decided to follow in the direction she'd ran and found her a bit later.

Youtube is helpful here as you can see how deer react to shots. Also, have a flashlight in case it's dark. Better yet, a little headlamp as it keeps your hands free when gutting the deer in the dark.

4. Not searching thoroughly. If you realize you've got a wounded deer and you lose the trail, start searching the area in grids. Get some help if you can't find anything. Other hunters can be remarkably good about joining in a search.

5. Not shooting from a rest. Anything you can do to avoid an offhand shot is good and lessens the chance of wounding one.

6. Develop a mental routine ahead of time of what you need to do to make the shot. Here's mine: Is the shot safe? Can I bring the gun up without spooking the deer? Do I have a good shot or do I need to wait till the deer turns? Where am I going to aim on the deer? Again, is it safe?--if yes, flip off the safety and give the trigger gentle squeeze.

Why do this? Because even after several deer, I still basically want to go bananas when a deer's nearby. This keeps things under control and keeps me from just spraying bullets in the general direction of the deer.