HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Utah Elk & Deer Hunt Permits
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Mallard - Sorry I don't know how I missed you were a UT resident. Heck ya apply, you will have good odds there!

Raghorn - Nonresident discrimination has been going on in many western states in the last 20 years, and Utah is one of the worse. Their 500+ wealth/auction tags are a downright obscene total. 200 of which were converted directly from the nonresident draw tags, killing draw odds. Three of the states you mention CO, NM, AZ have had perhaps the best track record in nonresident opportunity with 35%, 22% & 10% quotas. Nevada has a good draw system except when they raped nonresidents with their outfitter entitlement program. I've applied & hunted in all these states.

"Put together an application strategy and get after it." - Ya right! Do like I did and buy into their nonresident point programs for 15 years so they can change the rules and dininish your draw odds by 500% like Utah. Now I'm stuck with 14 of their deer points and can't draw the tag I otherwise would have, because they changed the rules in the middle of the game, flooded apps with thousands of 0 point holders, so UTDOW could make more $ selling dreams. It's becoming a racket.

For anyone interested in getting into the game, just beware.