HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help with hog bait mix
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 04:44 AM
realtreeranger
Spike

Best bait and lure I have found ranges from diesel on a towel around a tree to keep the bugs off of them after they rub on it. Also with it getting hotter use google earth to your advantage, all animals need to drink, bait around H2o or at least in an area. A hog like any animal wants to take the easiest route possible on natural lines of drift. I have heard of people mixing diesel in with the corn but I have never tried it. I have 2 five gallon jugs and what I do is put about 3 gal of corn in there and through out the week I put ALL egg shells, vegetables, coffee grounds, meat, bacon fat and any thing else that if you put in the sun makes a smell that will make you want to puke. The thing with sour corn and rotten food is not only that they like it more but just easier for the hog who's sense of smell is second to none to find. Be sure to be baiting them in an area easy to access with a short walk from a vehicle and if possible an area that can be seen from afar. If you walk up on or shoot a hog they will run like hell and not be back for a while. Also if you are a tree stand hunter like myself be sure that there is a great tree to put your stand in. Also after you bait be sure to keep up everyday on if the corn is taken. A lot of hunters think hogs are eating the bait but a trail cam might reveal another culprit (coons, deer, etc.). Consider a trail cam if area is safe to put one up with out a chance it will get stolen. Back to the making sure it is in fact hogs taking the bait if the area is not rooted up they are not there. Good luck let me know what happens.