Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Help with hog bait mix

Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
The worse it smells the better they like it. I use just plain water and let it sour, you can put in strawberry jello that's fine, beer is fine.. It's the stink that attracts them.

I also us soured Milo or rotten potato's.
My gawd!!! Add all of that together and if the hog eats it, not only will it get drunk, but marinate the meat as well if you let it sit for a minute!!!!!!! Talk about taking advantage of the intoxicated!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Spike

go to a local restaurant, ask them if the dish-kid can scrape the plates into a bucket or two. its amazing the amount of food that is not eaten.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hog Bait

If you want to speed up the fermenting add some sugar. This is what I found works for me. Let the corn sour and dump it out there they will find it. I use this after setting up a new feeder. It attracts the hogs, they find the feeder and keep coming back. The one thing I found that does make a negative difference is changing things at my feeder. If I add a new oder like coolaid or that store bought hog juice the hogs wont come in that day. Once I set things up I leave it alone, I only use strait corn and it works fine. You will go nuts trying everyones "secret" formula here.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

In tests between plain corn, soured corn, and diesel-corn; nothing beats plain corn. Hogs will eat it first.

Like others have mentioned, soured or corn treatred another way will deter manty other animals from eating your bait.

Peanut butter and Black gold mixed with corn work good too. Black gold alone works good as an attractant and poured on a rub. If the bottle had four legs and two ears, boars would marry it.

Last edited by JoeA; 10-07-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added text
Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Everyone around here uses sour'd corn. Let it sit in a bucket for 3-5 days with some water in it and your good to go. You could also try making a wallow with used motor oil. Just dump your old oil onto the ground where they frequant or pour it down the side of a fence post so they can rub on it...
Old 10-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Spike

I used to just soak the corn in water until it was soft. That's how we baited our traps. I didn't worry about stink. Hogs eat the heck out of it.

Two years ago, my landowner wanted to plant corn in the food plots (just over a half acre). He thinks if we have corn we'll have more deer! He's the landowner... I just do the work for the hunting privilege! I planted 300 pounds of corn with my tractor. Disced and dragged it in. It started to pop in about 4 days. On day 5 (rather the night between 4 and 5) the hogs came. In one night they consumed every single dad-gone piece of corn that I had broadcast, and I mean every one! Not a single corn plant remained. Later, when we saw the "herd" it was a mama sow and 7 shoats. I can't imagine how those few pigs turned up so much soil in one night. I have always hunted hogs on the ranches where I have worked as they destroy the patures (you Texans ALL know that), but I never considered how FEW hogs can destroy so very much. I always figured we had been visited by every hog in the county!