HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Converting to a String Loop/speed
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 PM
drockw
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
Big fat arrows are fine and dandy for indoor, but I don't like them outside... you get a crosswind.. and you have more surface to be affected. Plus, unless you are shooting 30 turkey targets, the rings aren't really close enough to have a major impact like they do indoors.

I'd go for a lighter weight, 400 spine shaft with a 60-75gr glue in insert... something like a lightspeed or a flatline or a redline easton (whatever they are calling them this year).

This is of course assuming that you are shooting in open class... if you are shooting in bowhunter... then you ought to be shooting your bowhunting set-up... that is kinda the point.
Hunter class or not, if I'm going to do more than just donate my money to shoot, I will use every legal advantage I can. A high FOC heavy fatshaft has brought me more good than just about anything in the ASA. Even in IBO I pull an occassional ring that I wouldn't have gotten with another shaft...

I've shot my .421" shafts at 90m in the wind and they don't drift as much as you'd think. Although I won't recommend it for distance...

90% of most 3d courses and field courses are in the woods. Not nearly as much crosswind as in fita etc...

I was with your train of thought as well BC until I did it... I have 10 perfectly good Easton a/c/e's just chilling at the house bc I've been using large shafts... Never thought it would be that way, but hey, the scores speak for themselves...

Btw I'm not disagreeing to be argumentative. I know you know your stuff as well, but I think if a shaft is built right, than it will fly...