HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 20 ga for Turkey?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:25 AM
cjgjr
Fork Horn

Sorry forgot to mention,Both chokes i used in the 20 ga. model 1100 were a.570 constriction.One was called tightwad choke.Both worked fine out to 25 and 30yrds. after i dialed after market sight in.Cause Even though we were shooting 2 3/4" #4s & #5 "LEAD"That was plenty of pellets.All u have to do is get them grouping! u dont need 100-200 pellets in a turkeys head/neck to kill him!lol.Dead is dead!If your guns throwin consistent pellets in the killzone.And especially for a small child that 20 ga.load u cant go wrong.Same thing as shootn a 12 ga!Just less pellets.Same Knockdown!If both a 20 ga. and a 12 gauge were thrown only 15 to 25 LEAD #5 pellets in a turks head at 30-35 yrds!Try and keep it under 30 u wont go wrong,main thing is get the combination dialed in at the range.And u are correct u wont find TURKEY hevi shot or copper plated lead turky shells in 20 ga. 2 3/4" in any store.If u know someone who reloads they can load some 2 3/4" shells with copperplated or somkinda hevi shot.
But remember hunters have been killing turkys for years using #4,#5 lead,well before the copper plated lead turky shells came out to give u knock down energy past 30-35 yrds.then they came out with the hevi shot extends ur knockdown power even further1But none of them meen a hoot if u cant pattern that far with them.
I look forward to taking kids out for the youth season here in pa for turks,More then when i hunt regular season.Nothing like the look on ur kids face after they lay a turk over!
Have fun and good luck to u and your daughter this season..

Last edited by cjgjr; 04-08-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: want to add