HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Survival - when things don't go "as planned"
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
skiking
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
The GPS thing really shocks me. While I understand that one should know how to read a map and use a compass "just in case" a GPS is 1000 times better.

There may be some parts of the world where they aren't accurate or useful but I have yet to find that place.

I agree that you shouldn't rely on them to save your life but I still don't get the resistance to it all. Doesn't make sense to me.
My biggest problem with them is that most people think, I have a GPS, it WILL tell me where I am every time I turn it on, and it WILL be accurate to +/- 100 ft even if they turn SA on. Those people then don't worry about packing a map and compass, and when they can't get a satellite fix, or one of the satellites they are using has a timing error, or the batteries die, they are up a creek without a paddle.

I have seen multipath errors of a 1/4 mile with a survey grade GPS that is accurate to +/- 0.02', if you don't think that your $100 Garmin is subject to the same error, then don't ever go into the woods relying on a GPS because you are one of the people that blindly pushes the "I BELIEVE" button.