HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Survival - when things don't go "as planned"
Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 AM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

I understand that everyone has their own definition of survival gear and no two lists will be 100% the same but I gotta admit I don't understand the resistance to technology.

The GPS thing really shocks me. While I understand that one should know how to read a map and use a compass "just in case" a GPS is 1000 times better. There is no guess work and you know exactly where you are an how far you have to go. You even know (if your GPS was on) how you got there. If I park my vehicle I mark it and I always mark camp. Even if I fall and break my leg if I can establish communication (two way radio or cell) I can give coordinates to my location. If my friend falls and breaks his leg and I have to go get help I have exact coordinates to his location.

There may be some parts of the world where they aren't accurate or useful but I have yet to find that place. Nothing is perfect and you could easily drop it and break it....I get that....but they are a great survival tool in my opinion and I never leave home without it.

A two way radio is small enough you never notice it in your pack but still could be very useful in getting you out of jam. The weather reports may not always be accurate but heck it's better than not knowing at all. In some situations (especially if you have your GPS ) it may be better to travel and knowing the forecast could help you decide to stop and hunker down or tell you when you have a window of opportunity.

I agree that you shouldn't rely on them to save your life but I still don't get the resistance to it all. Doesn't make sense to me.