HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hey all you Rocky Mountain Elk hunters!!??
Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Wolf killer
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley70
I think MTDraft has it right. In the early season I have seen a lot more big bulls. They are roaming about, down from the high country getting ready for the rut. Often times I will see them with other bulls as they setting the stage for the pecking order, getting used to one anothers scent and bugles. The big ones are easier to call and respond well to bugling at this point. The down side is they are some what random in their locations and not as vocal as later in the rut, so finding them is a little harder.
The second week is a tranistion stage to me. It seems the big boys are moving in and taking over herds from the smaller bulls. Old cows are coming into early estrus and there can be some real excitment during this stage. Lot of rounding up at this point, and the agressiveness of some of the bulls is apparent. This is also a good time to hunt the wallows as mid day is reasonably warm and the rut is underway.
The third week is peak rut, lots of bugling and the elk are pretty easy to locate. The bulls are hearded up and it takes some work to pull away the herd bull. In the right areas even satellite bulls can be pretty good 5 and 6 points. Herd bulls can be called in, and I do it every year. Herd bulls don't become herd bulls because they are afraid to fight, they will fight and if you get close enough and challenge that old boy, he will respond. If you can manuever between him and his cows, I can garuantee that old boy will be on your door step if you just grunt.
Muley70 hit the nail on the head.