Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Hey all you Rocky Mountain Elk hunters!!?? >

Hey all you Rocky Mountain Elk hunters!!??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hey all you Rocky Mountain Elk hunters!!??

Old 02-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

Default Hey all you Rocky Mountain Elk hunters!!??

This is kind of a survey . . .

Which week in September would be your first choice to go after Elk with a bow? (Also listed this in archery section)
1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc . . .?

And a little bit of why.

Thanking you in advance . . .
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Here in nw MT, it seems like first week is the best to have the best chance at a big one. We have had the most success opening weekend and then 3rd weekend, for whatever reason. If you can get to those big bulls before they are surrounded by cows I think you have a good chance at them. Plus you don't have to do so much calling, we do a lot of shaking alders, scraping trees and bushes with sticks and it gets them to come in pretty well.
I DO NOT HUNT OVER THERE, but in the breaks it seems like the end of archery season is the time to go over there. Its just what I hear from guys that hunt the missouri breaks.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was all set to hunt the 2nd week last year, and temps were close to 100 degrees! I waited til they broke, which turned into probably about the 3rd week....

This year I'm not sure, if temps look ok I may get out there for the archery opener, otherwise I may try to time the rut again, but hunting in 90 degrees plus sure isn't appealing rut or no rut.

End of archery in the breaks???

I've yet to figure it out, but everyone seems to have their own view, hunt early, opening weekend as they have yet to be hunted, but probably way more hunter pressure etc...but high temps could be trouble. Or hunt later and try to time the rut and locate them easier and chase them, but by then they've been pressured and might be with lots of cows, or hunt later later when there's way less human pressure?

Might be the flip of a coin...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

I think MTDraft has it right. In the early season I have seen a lot more big bulls. They are roaming about, down from the high country getting ready for the rut. Often times I will see them with other bulls as they setting the stage for the pecking order, getting used to one anothers scent and bugles. The big ones are easier to call and respond well to bugling at this point. The down side is they are some what random in their locations and not as vocal as later in the rut, so finding them is a little harder.
The second week is a tranistion stage to me. It seems the big boys are moving in and taking over herds from the smaller bulls. Old cows are coming into early estrus and there can be some real excitment during this stage. Lot of rounding up at this point, and the agressiveness of some of the bulls is apparent. This is also a good time to hunt the wallows as mid day is reasonably warm and the rut is underway.
The third week is peak rut, lots of bugling and the elk are pretty easy to locate. The bulls are hearded up and it takes some work to pull away the herd bull. In the right areas even satellite bulls can be pretty good 5 and 6 points. Herd bulls can be called in, and I do it every year. Herd bulls don't become herd bulls because they are afraid to fight, they will fight and if you get close enough and challenge that old boy, he will respond. If you can manuever between him and his cows, I can garuantee that old boy will be on your door step if you just grunt.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley70
I think MTDraft has it right. In the early season I have seen a lot more big bulls. They are roaming about, down from the high country getting ready for the rut. Often times I will see them with other bulls as they setting the stage for the pecking order, getting used to one anothers scent and bugles. The big ones are easier to call and respond well to bugling at this point. The down side is they are some what random in their locations and not as vocal as later in the rut, so finding them is a little harder.
The second week is a tranistion stage to me. It seems the big boys are moving in and taking over herds from the smaller bulls. Old cows are coming into early estrus and there can be some real excitment during this stage. Lot of rounding up at this point, and the agressiveness of some of the bulls is apparent. This is also a good time to hunt the wallows as mid day is reasonably warm and the rut is underway.
The third week is peak rut, lots of bugling and the elk are pretty easy to locate. The bulls are hearded up and it takes some work to pull away the herd bull. In the right areas even satellite bulls can be pretty good 5 and 6 points. Herd bulls can be called in, and I do it every year. Herd bulls don't become herd bulls because they are afraid to fight, they will fight and if you get close enough and challenge that old boy, he will respond. If you can manuever between him and his cows, I can garuantee that old boy will be on your door step if you just grunt.
Muley70 hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default yup

Muley70 sounds almost word for word what I have been posting in chat rooms and forums for the last 17 to 18 years. I kept meticulous records for about ten years. I counted bugles per day what the age class of bull that made the bugles were (when visual confirmation was possible) and what type of bugle. Yes there is a language to their vocalizations. Even the cows have a specific language. So about all I will say to help you any more than what muley posted is, in Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and Colorado, Sept. 17 to Sept. 23 is the best dates to call them in. However there are more bugles leading up to that time than during that time. Also after that time has even more bugles than that. However the early bugles are mostly young bulls experimenting with their newfound lust. The bugles after the 23rd usually are from herd bulls and they are herding bugles for the most part. Meaning they are meant for the cows more so than the competitor bulls. Or they are from satelite bulls doing the bugle a run thing. Up to the 17th or so is your best chance to call in a big bull. After the 17th you need to really be good at it and know what you are doing, to call in a herd bull. You really have to threaten him or threaten him with the loss of his cows. I find the right bugle at the right time is the best call of all for getting big bulls. The next best is the right cow call at the right time. However a cow call any time outside the Sept. 17 to Oct. 10 timeframe will most likely only bring is small bulls and mostly yearlings.
OK now these dates are fairly concrete in my post -- bear in mind these date can move about 7 days either way depending on the year and the moon phase and the weather. However all those variables considered; they will rut at the same time in the same places every year, within a week. There are also secondary and tertiary ruts. But that's really another subject.
Best of luck to ya bud. There is nothing in the hunting world more spectacular than calling a big bull elk in to his end. NOTHING.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

We hunt all the weeks but 1st and 3rd week is when we have make our kills usually.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last week in Sept in the Breaks is the best. Nice and cool and peak of the rut. Along the missiour river there is so much bugling going on you can't even sleep. These are highly educated elk and this late in sept they tend to go nocturnal, but you can get that dumb one, 350 class are not uncommon, but ambush is the best. The winds will bust you as they come from every direction and then they'll settle down and the thermal winds dictate. Due to the high winds I shoot short fletchings as this seems to have less effect on the arrow in windy situations. I've been over there several times hunting and I went the first week in sept. one time and it was so bloody hot I could not of even gotten one out in time if I didn't soak it. Bring the fishin ploe as walleye, seagars, and catfish are a good pass time when back at camp. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Angry

Since in COlorado the stick throwers get 5 WEEKS to hunt elk ( rifle hunters 6 days), I would say any week is great.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE][Since in COlorado the stick throwers get 5 WEEKS to hunt elk ( rifle hunters 6 days), I would say any week is great. /QUOTE] In other words, if you want more time to enjoy chasing elk in CO., take up archery hunting, BUT if you want to increase your odds of killing an elk, use your rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.