HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why I love rage 2 blades
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 05:50 AM
diamondrack
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by teedub31
Did you make that up as you went???? A deer hit in one lung will travel much further, but to expect a deer hit in one lung to survive 50% of the time is crazy. You might not recover it, but a deer with a single hemoraging lung is a dead deer.
I would have to say that if you think that every deer that is single-lunged dies you are completely crazy.. My good friend owns a huge butching shop that service all over the world and during deer season they also do deer processing, they bring close to 2,000 deer a season in.. I have helped him many times to catch up and have seen with my own eyes deer that have been shot (single-lunged) and healed up and then shot weeks later and or even years later.. The lung shrinks up and the deer does in fact survive... I have personally harvest deer that have been previously shot through one-lung and they looked normal as could be... I also know others that have made that type of shot and 100% positive that they single-lunged the deer and caught it on trail-cams weeks later.. I quess it is unfair to give an actually percentage but I do believe that if in the deer is ONLY hit through ONE lung then they do have a decent chance of survival.. Now if you catch anything else, the liver/maybe some guts/or whatever depending on the angle of the shot then the deer will probably be died within 500 or so yards..