HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recovery Rates of Bowhunting Deer
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 06:04 AM
fshafly2
Typical Buck

Phil
"Wounding Rates of White-tailed Deer with Modern Archery Equipment" has the statistics with citations for most of the modern bowhunter wounding rate studies, including Wendy Krueger's Camp Ripley Study.

I did not include citations to the older (pre-1989) bowhunter wounding rate studies in the paper, because I make the argument that these older studies are obsolete due to the advances in the materials and design of archery equipment. However, I can provide you citations for 19 older bowhunter studies if you want them - pm me.

The Animal Rights (AR) crowd criticized the Camp Ripley Study in their discussion groups, but I never found a formal citation. Typical AR criticisms include that the study was funded by the archery manufacturers ("funding bias"), that not all hunters were surveyed (sampling bias), and that the abnormally high hunter density facilitated deer recovery.

Anecdotal stories of bowhunters' successes or failures to recover game are interesting, but it would be difficult to draw any conclusions from these accounts.

- Andy Pedersen