Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Recovery Rates of Bowhunting Deer >

Recovery Rates of Bowhunting Deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recovery Rates of Bowhunting Deer

Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Recovery Rates of Bowhunting Deer

I am working on deer herd management research, specifically on the effectiveness of bow hunting as a deer management tool and recovery rates. A few decades ago there was a non-scientific survey conducted (I think it was the Camp Ripley) that suggests deer recovery rates for bow hunting were 50%. This number is unrealistically low in my personal experience. Within the last few years, I recall reading an article debunking that survey. Can anyone recall or point me to such an article or an updated study? I have the Indian Head, Md. article "Wounding Rates of WTD with Modern Archery Equipment."

Thanks.

Last edited by vadeer; 01-30-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

3 questions:

1. From a management standpoint, does it matter if the deer was recovered.....or not?

2. What you're gonna find is....a disproportionate # of hunters who feel that any deer NOT recovered.....automatically lived/lives to see another month ('day' is too subjective).

3. Are you concerned about deer that were wounded.....but lived?

I've taken 26 whitetails over the last 4 seasons (all bowkills). I have a good idea I killed one that was not recovered. That number could be higher....but there's NO WAY (barring eyewitness accounts......over an extended period of time) that this could be substantiated (one way or another).
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

according to a book i have put out by the state D.E.M. uses the Camp Ripley study
printed by a masters theisis by Wendy Kruger of the University of West Virginia. It says there is a 13 % wounding loss and of that 87% recovered from the wound.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
according to a book i have put out by the state D.E.M. uses the Camp Ripley study
printed by a masters theisis by Wendy Kruger of the University of West Virginia. It says there is a 13 % wounding loss and of that 87% recovered from the wound.
Thanks, Rhody Hunter. I'll be reading through Wendy's material that I can find on the internet. Do you have the name of the book as I'd like to read that also?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GMMAT
3 questions:

1. From a management standpoint, does it matter if the deer was recovered.....or not?

2. What you're gonna find is....a disproportionate # of hunters who feel that any deer NOT recovered.....automatically lived/lives to see another month ('day' is too subjective).

3. Are you concerned about deer that were wounded.....but lived?

I've taken 26 whitetails over the last 4 seasons (all bowkills). I have a good idea I killed one that was not recovered. That number could be higher....but there's NO WAY (barring eyewitness accounts......over an extended period of time) that this could be substantiated (one way or another).
Thanks, GMMAT. I'll need to consider the recovery rate as it is politically sensitive in the area where I live.

Re: wounding and lived, I'd like to see that percentage in deer vehicle collisions as well as with bow hunter. Just to be fair. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

the manual is put out by the National bowhunters education foundation
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I made a post like this a few years ago and it was shot down fast (real fast)

But ill throw out some info:

Ive killed 5 deer with a bow, and not recovered 2. 5/7 for 71%
Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed nearly 150 Biggame animals with my own Bow (Hogs, Bears, Turkey, Elk, Caribou, Sheep, Deer, Buffalo) & been in on at least another 100+ blood trails (easy). I recall NOT finding 7 animals (2 Mule Deer, 1 Elk, 1 Hog, & 3 Whitetails). Of those we are guessing the Elk & 1 Whitetail & hog survived due to location of the hit & lack of any blood whatsoever. All Archery. I've never looked for a Gun shot animal.

Many years ago (guessing 70s) there were some figures published about the Necedah Wildlife Refuge in Ws. I beleive it was a 10 year DNR study & results showed 3% lost with Bow & 7% with gun. Don't hold me to that but those seem to be the figures I got from their information for an article when I wrote a informational sports/Bowhunting Column in the 70s.

I'm guessing a blind man that can smell will find more that 50% of shot animals. just a note though-I have noticed at a couple places I went Bowhunting that "some, a few" seem NOT to put a whole lot of effort into following up a difficult blood trail unless they have plenty of help.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ahunter55
I've killed nearly 150 Biggame animals with my own Bow (Hogs, Bears, Turkey, Elk, Caribou, Sheep, Deer, Buffalo) & been in on at least another 100+ blood trails (easy). I recall NOT finding 7 animals (2 Mule Deer, 1 Elk, 1 Hog, & 3 Whitetails). Of those we are guessing the Elk & 1 Whitetail & hog survived due to location of the hit & lack of any blood whatsoever. All Archery. I've never looked for a Gun shot animal.

Many years ago (guessing 70s) there were some figures published about the Necedah Wildlife Refuge in Ws. I beleive it was a 10 year DNR study & results showed 3% lost with Bow & 7% with gun. Don't hold me to that but those seem to be the figures I got from their information for an article when I wrote a informational sports/Bowhunting Column in the 70s.

I'm guessing a blind man that can smell will find more that 50% of shot animals. just a note though-I have noticed at a couple places I went Bowhunting that "some, a few" seem NOT to put a whole lot of effort into following up a difficult blood trail unless they have plenty of help.
Good Post!!

It pretty much mirrors my experience. I can't remember the last animal I shot personally and was Not able to find.

IMHO recovery rates has little to do with which weapon is being used and more about who is using that weapon.

Dan
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Siman08/OH
I made a post like this a few years ago and it was shot down fast (real fast)

But ill throw out some info:

Ive killed 5 deer with a bow, and not recovered 2. 5/7 for 71%
I am at the same exact numbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.