HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new 7600...rings and bases...?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

90$ for a scope base!?!?!?!? thats ridiculous!! its a strip of metal with a couple holes drilled in it and some slots cut out! lol...wow!!

im all for paying for quality...but they can keep that one!!

i think ive decided on a weaver style base and Leupold "permanent" weaver style rings...alot of the weaver rings now dont have the screw go through the cross slot...even the Leupolds dont, but the ring bottom has a piece that fits into that cross slot...

if i dont have anything in the cross slot i might as well go with standard rings and bases...which to me, dont seem very stable..

i can find cheap rings with the screw going through the cross slot, but the better ones ive looked at dont...they tighten down like a dovetail...which i dont understand why???? why dont they have the screws through the cross slot? makes no sense and takes away from the stability....

im shooting a pretty stiff recoiling rifle...and its going to be hunted harder than most typical rifles...and i cant afford a loose scope...

i just want a very sturdy and stable ring and base combo...ive learned cheap rings mean cheap rings...threads strip, heads of the bolts strip, etc...took me a couple paid to learn that lesson...

bases, as long as they are quality metal, dont matter a whole lot..weaver bases are a strip of metal with cross cuts in it...that really doesnt matter as much as the rings so long as its good metal IMO....