Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
new 7600...rings and bases...? >

new 7600...rings and bases...?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new 7600...rings and bases...?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default new 7600...rings and bases...?

so i just got my NIB remington 7600 in 35 whelen yesterday...

now i need rings and bases for it...scope will be a 3-9x40 Leupold...

the gun will be used in some rough hunting...hard drives, in and out of the truck etc...i want the strongest ring and base options that will have the best chances of holding the scope where it need to be held...

1 piece or 2 piece base?? standard or weaver style? low or medium rings??

thanx guys!

heres the rifle..took a while..but i found the stock i wanted and got a good deal on it being a 35 whelen NIB...not a ton of the whelens were made in the 7600 and they are starting to get a little hard to find...NIB is bringing a fair bit more than i paid...so im a VERY happy guy...

Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Pick the sturdiest you can find! Even with your rifle being an auto you're in for a treat with a .35 Whelen. Make sure you got PLENTY of eye relief!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

actually its a pump...

thats kinda what im trying to ask...what rings and bases are the sturdiest??? 1 piece base or 2 piece? weaver style or standard?

between the recoil and the hard use the rifle will see, i need something that will hold the scope right where its at....just dont know what the best option is...

i know everything is likely going to get loc tite on the threads!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Spike

Default Scope mounts

i like the weaver my self its just a matter of taste an money
Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several brands that I consider "tough". Some are a bit pricey though. I believe I'd look at Warne as a starting point. A one piece (cross-slot type) rail is tough. They can be mil-spec picatinny or just weaver style. Make sure the rings are compatible with the selected base. Here is an example.
http://www.survivalarms.com.au/compo...product_id,395
Ken Ferrell may have one that fits or perhaps a "gunsmith" base that can be drilled and mounted by a smith. Nightforce sells such. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

90$ for a scope base!?!?!?!? thats ridiculous!! its a strip of metal with a couple holes drilled in it and some slots cut out! lol...wow!!

im all for paying for quality...but they can keep that one!!

i think ive decided on a weaver style base and Leupold "permanent" weaver style rings...alot of the weaver rings now dont have the screw go through the cross slot...even the Leupolds dont, but the ring bottom has a piece that fits into that cross slot...

if i dont have anything in the cross slot i might as well go with standard rings and bases...which to me, dont seem very stable..

i can find cheap rings with the screw going through the cross slot, but the better ones ive looked at dont...they tighten down like a dovetail...which i dont understand why???? why dont they have the screws through the cross slot? makes no sense and takes away from the stability....

im shooting a pretty stiff recoiling rifle...and its going to be hunted harder than most typical rifles...and i cant afford a loose scope...

i just want a very sturdy and stable ring and base combo...ive learned cheap rings mean cheap rings...threads strip, heads of the bolts strip, etc...took me a couple paid to learn that lesson...

bases, as long as they are quality metal, dont matter a whole lot..weaver bases are a strip of metal with cross cuts in it...that really doesnt matter as much as the rings so long as its good metal IMO....
Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy are you in for a surprise. I picked my 7600 over at Grices during the first run. the stock without a recoil pad will beat you. I ended up putting a Butler Creek synthetic which reduced the weight by half of the wood and reduced recoil by almost as much. You can also get a butt stock for a 20 ga 870 as well. Mine don't seem to like anything smaller than 225 gr bullets. I just put a one piece Weaver on it and used Weaver style rings with a Leupold VXII 2x7x32.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 7600 weres weaver rings and a 3-9 redfeild been that way for years (30-06).My 35 whelen has the same weaver rings and bases,no problems.
BBJ
Old 02-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

PM sent [email protected]
Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/

Although I use Burris new Zee rings and weaver "style" bases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.