HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Neophyte Question About Powder
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Mark whiz
Typical Buck

Default RE: Neophyte Question About Powder

springgobbler.............

Powder load can definitely affect accuracy - but how it affects it, is largely dependent on the barrel twist and the bullets used.

It is entirely possible to over-propel lighter bullets, and that is exactly what many do these days (egged on by the manufacturer' s claims of " super velocities" ). 2000fps is not needed for massive kills & excellent accuracy. I' m shooting a " beginner model" .50cal Knight USAK and with loads running about 1600fps, I' ve never had an animal take more than 1 step after being hit and I have shot penny-sized groups out to 50meters.

I' m assuming that your rifle is a .50cal - so maybe my load data here will help you out. My gun likes sabot bullets of at least 300gr weight so here is what I found works the best for me:

300gr bullets (like Hornady XTP Mags, Rem 303gr Core-Lokts, Barnes MZs,295gr PowerBelts) shoot with 80gr of 2fg 777 powder or 95gr of Pyro RS.

350gr bullets (like Precision Rifle QTs, Extremes, DCs or 348gr PowerBelts) shoot with 90gr of 3fg 777 powder (2fg for the PowerBelts) or 105gr of Pyro RS.

400gr bullets (like the QTs or Extremes or 405gr PowerBelts) shoot with 100gr 3fg 777 powder (2fg for PowerBelts) or 115gr of Pyro RS.

All of these loads will hit within an inch of the same point of impact for me at 75yds. This is my rifle' s sweet spot, yours may vary - but these ought to get you in the ballpark.

The best advice I can give is not to get caught up in the " Magnum" hype and shoot reasonable loads like these - it' ll speed up your learning curve & improve accuracy tremendously.

Good Luck