HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Just want to introduce myself...
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 10:17 AM
turkey guide
Fork Horn

Welcome! Sorry to hear you bought a short magnum gun. Was it a short magnum, or a super short magnum? Either way it is too expensive and not terribly practical for a hunting application. Unless you get your kicks sniping at small game at extreme ranges that is. If it's just for large game animals at reasonable range under 350 yds you can save a ton of money on ammo by buying that plain old 270 gun. There are very good reasons for owning wsm's and wssm rifles, but if you don't need them don't buy them. Just my opinion,they are improving things all the time, but if the old standby works, there is no need to change.
It's your choice of coarse, and I see you would have made a different choice if you had known the price. Some of my buddies don't understand my use of an Armalite AR-10 in 308. They have a point of coarse, I don't need an $1,800., semi-auto AR military style rifle to do the same thing they can do with a $250 single shot. It's just my choice as an ex military man. But I wouldn't choose one in a wssm round, even though some are available now, for the same reason as you. I'll stick with a proven round that is universally available and inexpensive.