HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent-A-Way
Thread: Scent-A-Way
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 AM
bryant1
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kevin1
I'll disagree only that in reducing your scent signature you'll at least cause the deer to underestimate your distance from him. They'll always view human scent as predatory, but they're less likely to bolt if they think the threat is at a manageable distance. Since I started using an ozone generator I've noticed that deer don't spook nearly as much when downwind of me than they used to, and there's no way you can hide all of your scent as you point out. Recently a young buck was about 15 yards downwind of my ground blind. He didn't alarm, just stamped and snorted a bit, then calmly walked away. I fully expected him to begin blowing and bolt, but he didn't. I had bathed in HS bodywash that morning, and was bundled up to my eyeballs in clothing including a cloth facemask that was thoroughly ozonated the night before, and other than spritzing with Deer Dander before going out I took no other precautions. I even drank a thermos of coffee as I sat there. This same buck had already crossed the sinkhole in front of my blind earlier, again downwind, and had showed no sign that it even noticed my prescence. If these had been the only positive encounters I've had since I began using that generator I would just chalk them up to annecdotal accidents or a stupid deer, but I've had the same experience multiple times with deer of both sexes. Since human scent permeates the property I know they're aware of a human prescence, but I'm convinced that it's their perception of the strength of the odor that alarms or calms them. An odor might get their attention, but if they think the odor is old, or weak enough to indicate distance, then they seem to ignore it
I tend to agree with you. I hunt in a giant lease and there is always humans scent around due to hunters, loggers, timber cruisers, etc. As long as they think the scent isn't fairly fresh, they might stomp and snort at it but they won't spook.

I don't use anything but rubber boots for scent control during bow season and I hunt where I want to, so I don't pay attention to the wind much either.