HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - House finches...
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Winger
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cnyguy
Neither House Finches or House Sparrows pose a problem at bird feeders. At least no worse than any other songbird. Both the House Finch and House Sparrow are protected as they are songbirds. If you can afford hunting equipment, I suggest you spend a couple of bucks on a good bird identification book before you go blasting away. My guess you have English Sparrows which are an invasive species and not protected in most states. Most people cannot tell the difference between a House Finch and a Purple Finch in the winter. The House Sparrow looks nothing like a House Finch. The House Sparrow looks completely different from the English Sparrow. I hope you do a better job of indentifying what you shoot at when you hunt!
I don't know what you are referring to in reference to House Sparrows and English Sparrows, as they are the same thing. The House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) is an invasive species and was introduced in the northeast US in the 1850's. It is often referred to as the English Sparrow, though House Sparrow is the correct identifying name.

Along with starlings, they are very aggressive when it comes to nesting cavities. Don't know about other states, but they are not protected in Oklahoma.