HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:14 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?

For you shooters out there I was wondering what your opinion was on reloading? Do you do it? If so do you think it's actually worth it? I've asked this question on reloading forums and of course they tell you how great it is.

Now my Christmas present was a reloading kit. However, since I didn't know exactly what I wanted at the time I was told just order it when I found it and they would pay for it. I went and bought a die for one caliber and a tumbler today and spent $107. I still have 2 or 3 other dies I want at $40 for one and $30 for the other. Then the reloading kit from RCBS guys keep recommending me is $290. So they would pay for the kit and I'd pay for the rest. I'm really starting to wonder if I really want to do this.

So I figured if I save $5 a box it will take me almost 100 boxes to pay for the upfront cost. I'm paying $14 a box for 30-06 ammo from Federal at Wally World. It doesn't seem like I will save more than $5 a box over that. I just don't shoot anywhere near a large number of rounds like that. I shoot maybe 5 or 6 boxes a year at most. I wouldn't mind shooting slightly more than that but not that much more. I shoot a .22 a lot more than that but you can't reload a for a .22 anyway.

So that will take me almost 20 years to get my money back. Then I also have the hassle of sitting there reloading my bullets which I really don't care for. Seems much much easier to just go to Wal Mart and pick up a box of ammo to go shoot.

Another thing is my 30-06 is super picky about ammo when it comes to accuracy. It shoots good groups with Federal Fusion ammo and Federal soft points but nothing else I've tried groups all that well. I've tried many different brands to find one that shoots great. I'm thinking with reloading I'm going to have to shoot many different setups again and try to find one that works which I really don't want to go through again.

So I'm just wondering if I should take back the stuff I bought today and tell the person getting me the kit that I really would rather have something else. They have told me if I want something else that's fine.

So what should I do? Should I get the kit? Or should I just keep buying factory ammo and get something else?

I'm just really worried about being able to reload ammo that shoots well in my gun since it was so picky accuracy wise with factory ammo. Some like Winchester ballistic tips shot like 8" groups. Others shot 4-5" groups. I finally got it down to about 1.5" or sometimes 2" groups with the Federal ammo. I don't want to try a ton of kinds again and I don't want to be able to not find one that works either.

What do you guys think? Do you that don't reload think it would be worth it? Or is it not? What about the ones who do reload what do you think?