HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help with next yrs plots!?!
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 09:36 AM
halfbakedi420
Nontypical Buck

i would recommend , if ya don't already know, that you do some research on the digestive tract of a deer..

that being said and assuming you do this before you read on..it dont make sense to plant beans if the area you live in is mostly corn crops...

ask the farmers in your area what part of the crops the deer eat the most of..and 2nd..and 3rd..

then figure the time of year for each..maybe you will use 3rd place, but it will be 1st place at that time of year..

sounds like you got the soil test stuff down , as it is the most important of all....and when you get your fertilizer , make sure you are meeting the requirements of the seed you are applying.

hopefully you have access to farm equipment?

if not, better cut the acreage back on your intended plan.cause manual labor is brutal for that much land..me and my buddy took out 2 large hand steered tillers...bad azz ones..in sand....6 feet wide...150+/- feet long... all day to till , as most of the time is spent digging the vegetation outta the tiller, which we did not expect...also including a 2nd and 3rd round for mixin in the seed and fertilizers..

i would say that 2nd in line behind the soil test is water!!!!!
we took a rented gas powered water pump with 300 feet of hose, and pumped it outta the spring fed creek to water it for 3-4 days in a row when we planted it..i think it was about $100 to rent on a friday and bring back on a tuesday, (after labor day)

don't go planting seed in hopes that it will rain..if it doesn't rain, you have wasted all your time and money!!!!! make sure there is water..

good luck