HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help with next yrs plots!?!
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 PM
haystack
Typical Buck

Bypasskiller--With possibly 12+ acres to work with, your options are many. But in order to recommend what seed selections are feasible, we really need to know what your soil test reveals.

Most likely there is grasses growing there now that will need to be eradicated. This could take a while and might impact how soon you could have...say a lush clover field that is pulling in deer by Sept 15 of next year, in addition to soil PH and fertility issues.

Late season food plots such as corn and soybeans will possibly be an option planted this spring. Brassicas could be planted late July-mid Aug, as well as late summer/fall planted cereal grains such as Oats, Wheat and Winter Rye.

I purchase a lot of my seeds, chemicals and fertilizer from Southern States Coop. Looking in one of my catalogs, there is one located in Preston, MD. Most of those coops will custom spread lime and fertilizer and rent out no-till drills. And if there are other farm supply, feed and seed stores in your area, do a little price checking.

Also a good book or two could be invaluable. One I would recommend is Wildlife & Woodlot Management by Monte Burch.

And we'll be glad to help any way we can...feel free to ask!

Here's a few things that work for me.

Brassicas, Winter Oats and Corn.

Winter Rye, Winter Oats and Austrian Winter Peas.