HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions or fact: Carbon scent suits
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 01:23 PM
mlaubner
Typical Buck

Default Opinions or fact: Carbon scent suits

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/...cent_suits.htm
I read this article the other day and got to thinking about it.
Has anyone else read this article? Is this erroneous information to dissuade people from buying the stuff or is this in fact the Truth?
At what point is the carbon suit " full" ? Do you need to regenerate it as soon as you buy it? After all it has been adsorbing scent the whole time it has been hanging in the store!
To fully re-activate saturated activated-carbon, you must heat it to approximately 800 °C or 1,472 °F, in a controlled atmosphere of low oxygen concentration to reduce the possibility of combustion. This is scientific fact and is even stated in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Engineering and Design, Adsorption Design Guide, Design Guide No. DG1110-1-2, if you’d like to check it out for yourself. This fact is not however mentioned on any of the popular scent elimination clothing manufacturers’ websites.
....Here is something else you should consider before purchasing one of these products: activated-carbon’s adsorption effectiveness when used in an air filter application becomes greatly reduced when it is wet. So what happens when you sweat during those humid early season bow hunts? That’s right, your clothing gets wet and becomes even less effective.

A leading manufacturer of activated-carbon garments admits that no laboratory testing has been conducted to determine the effectiveness of the clothing when it is wet from hunter’s perspiration.
Can this all be true? I would be pissed if I had spent a lot of money on this stuff and it turns out to be a freakin' hoax!