HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ethics question
Thread: Ethics question
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 PM
turkey guide
Fork Horn

If my deer went onto other property it is lost. I would call the property owner and inform him. If he wanted the deer he could have it, if he offered to allow me to get it I would get it. You know when you hunt near the property line that this can happen. I've sat on line fences and watched huge deer that just would not cross to my side, and of coarse the temtation is there, but you can't do it! You did the right thing, and you tried your best. In Missouri you absolutely cannot cross onto property where you have no permission, no matter how many dead deer are laying within sight, no matter if you can reach through the fence and pull them through, you can't do it. The MDC will not allow it and your tag says on it that you must make every effort to retrieve your deer, but this does not authorize tresspassing.
I had a neighbor who shot a 14 point two years ago and she tramped all over my lease looking for it. I heard the story and it had already happened and I was pissed. Not because she wanted her deer but because she never called me to ask. I would have searched with her, or for her, but she had no right. So when my Bro inlaw found those antlers I told him to keep them if he wanted and he did. I could have and would have given them to my neighbor if she had followed the rules and called me before entering my land, but she didn't. Her husband asked me before season if they could retrieve game or shoot over the fence. I said no, not without calling me because, I have hunters over there who paid to hunt and we can't screw up their hunt, by just walking in or shooting deer that may be standing in front of them. So I said call me and I will arange to get your deer without pissing anybody off. Apparently he never passed this on to his wife or anyone else that hunts his land. He has had nothing but trouble from his other neighbors for the same reason. They tresspass without asking.