HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ethics question
Thread: Ethics question
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 AM
halfbakedi420
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
I think if you go on someone's property trailing a deer without the owner's consent or knowledge and purposely violating a trespassing law, then you have NO respect for another person's rights.

If it were me, I'd first contact the owner. If he says "No", then I contact the warden.

If the warden can't help me by being there as an enforcer/middle man, then I'm SOL, but I tried.

A man still has his rights to his property he's paying taxes on and if he wants to be an ass about letting people on his property for this scenario, then he's the one with the problem and I'm not going to escalate a situation by violating a trespass law. I have at least that much respect for his ownership. However, back in the day, I did say f'it and looked for someone's deer for them. LOL! Times change, opinions change. This is so on-the-fence for me, my opinion may be different next year.

Trespass is the intrusion onto another's property withOUT the right.

iSnipe

so in essence, this is kinda a true statement, and good advise...

"Really not an issue! Your son LOST his deer, simple as that. Private land is just that... PRIVATE.

You shouldn't EVER assume that anyone should allow you to tromp around their private property while you search for your deer.

Here in Illinois, no one can enter your property to pursue or search for wounded game, regardless of wether it's posted or not. I like it that way and for that reason our property is strictly PRIVATE! I'm not allowing anyone to cross my fence. My best advice to them is this.... you shouldn't have been hunting close enough to my property line for your deer to cross in the first place."