HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ethics question
Thread: Ethics question
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 AM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Ya can't do it. You have no permission to gain access to their property, no matter if they have trespassed on your property or not. IMHO, they are unrelated.
I agree. They are unrelated. And there is no way in heck I'm NOT going after that deer. I'll pay the consequences, but I'm not letting a deer that I decided to end it's life rot in the woods someplace because I can't walk what is probably 100 yards or less on their land. I'd extend the same courtesy to anyone else no matter how much I may or may not like them.

Actually, interesting situation last season. We've had several run ins with one of our neighboring properties. There is a little bad blood between us from past experiences. To make a long story short here's what happened.

I was sitting in my stand fairly close to bordering property. I hear a shot from the neighboring land and about a minute later see the deer that was hit cross onto my land and bed down about 150-200 yards in front of me still alive but hurting unit (gut shot). About 10 minutes later I see orange behind me following a blood trail (the neighbors). I get up and wave my orange to catch their attention and wave and signal to them to wait and point to let them know i see THEIR deer. The one guy is only 50 yards from me so I motion for him to quietly walk towards my stand. I let him know whats up and tell him to hang tight and don't move.

I decided that we should sneak out of there and backtrack through their land to not push the deer and come back for it later. We met at our lodge later and I drove to our land and walked to where the deer bedded down (shorter walk than through his land). The deer was laying dead where I last saw it and recovered.

If I wanted to be an a-hole i would have watched them keep going after it and push it to never find it again. Or I could have denied them to come on my land and take the deer myself. Neither of which I had any intentions of doing and both would have been ridiculous.

Now we have a mutual friendship and understanding about recovering deer on eachothers lands.