HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ethics question
Thread: Ethics question
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
You did it the right way. The law is involved here and the man, however unsavory and hypocritical, has a right to keep individuals off his property.

What you're really talking about here is whether or not you should practice civil disobedience. In the situation you've described, the answer is No. Since this is not a case of an unjust law, we have to obey it. (This is not to say the law could not be improved).

The other factor to consider is that trespassing causes damage to property rights, weakens security, and creates disorder in society. It's good to recover a deer, but the benefits don't outweigh these negatives.

Someone here suggested that this is like Jesus setting aside the Old Testament law, so it would be ok to do it here. As a pastor, I'd say that is a misunderstanding what Jesus was doing. First, as Son of God, he had the authority to do so. A hunter standing at a fenceline looking at another man's property does not.

Secondly, Jesus was dealing legal precepts intended by God to be temporary and no longer needed. He was also disposing of various interpretations of the law that were being given undue weight by the religious leaders.
As usual fork, as most "religious leaders" I notice they go to legalism. Most leaders just can't get away from the law. Christ warned us, Paul warns us, John warns us. I have seen it so many times with "leaders". I don't think it starts that way, but for most it ends that way.

But as Jesus Christ clearly pointed out with the example of David eating the bread in the temple, its about what is in your heart. And he is the ultimate leader. And everything he said is right and just. But as you and I are human, everything we say is not so. You could be in error here. And I believe with these examples Jesus Christ gave us. I think you are. I would never say "I know" as you have showed in your post. Because we are human, and not perfect.

If I sit on a property line, and I decide to persue a deer, with the thought in my head that I wish no ill will towards the property owner. Nor destruction of his property. Then I believe in my heart I am being a good steward of the animals God has given us all to eat. Now, in my heart, if I have evil thoughts and desires like I do care if the land owner is upset. Or I do not care about his rights, I just want my deer.

There obviously is more going on here in this post than just retriveing the deer. If the orig poster felt the need to send a certified letter, then that opens the door for problems. Not a smart move. I have a neighbor who is like this. They have an ongoing feud with the adjacent neighbors. Certified letters going back and forth. All over a right of way and trespassing. So I just purchased a chunk of heaven behind them. The first neighbor comes to me and explains no way i will get neighbor two to sign a contract giving me legal right of way because of his issues with him. Tells me he's a bad guy.

I figured respect goes a long way. I give them both respect. So I go to neighbor 2 and instantly he signs my contract, for free. Said he was glad to help and considers me a friend. Neighbor 1 was furious. And what boggles me is how he cannot figure why neighbor 2 wouldn't do the same for him. Even though he is the one who started with certified letters.