HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting your gun rights back after a class d felony dui
Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 PM
nyorange
Fork Horn

" DUIs in one year? What an extraordinary example of self-control and discipline, not to mention respect for the law. And you wish this person to retain firearms?"

No, but I do not wish them to be barred forever from owning one without proof that they will forever be a danger.

"Somewhere in the drunken stupor, the buddy shot my friend's son in the head with a hunting rifle. He, of course, died."

There will be always be a sob story, but you can't make law on an individual basis. You should also realize that the tragedy you mentioned would of still happened. Millions of gun owning and non gun owning idiots get drunk everyday and they are not prohibited from owning firearms. Barring some guy from owning a firearm "forever" because of a DWI will not make us safer and will certainly not stop tragedies like the one you mentioned. Your friend's son died because they got drunk and did something stupid, he could have just as easily been pushed off a roof by his drunk friend. The point is it had nothing to do with the gun but the behavior. Barring firearm ownership "forever" for a dwi wouldn't have prevented the tragedy.Lots of drunks in the world who never had a DWI or run in with the law.

"Nah, but alcohol is only dangerous if you drive".

Likewise, it is not only dangerous when you own a gun and I am 100% certain that your friend's son's buddy is still driving a car. Why do we allow him to drive a car, where there is a much greater statistical chance that he will hurt someone again,yet the world be damned if a DWI convict owns a gun?

"Think again."

Oh yeah, thats exactly what i thought. I was going to ask my doctor to take a few swigs before he operate on me this weekend since I thought it would be okay since he wouldn't be using a gun or driving a car but now I may reconsider that request. You can't eliminate danger and stupidity thru legislation.
And I obey laws because I have respect for other people and their safety which the laws only symbolize and guide us in doing, not because I respect the law in and of itself. My respect for the law ends when I no longer feel it is actually making anyone safer.