HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 22lr or 17hmr ?
Thread: 22lr or 17hmr ?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 05:20 AM
SyPTo
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
I agree with relentless pursuit. Its all about application. Now like many people in here, I love my 22s. I think I have six now and for going out and plinking all day and then going out for squirrels or rabbits the 22 is great. I use my 17 for some plinking but it and my 22 mag and 17hmr really serve there purpose as all around small game rifles rifles. I have the savage 93 in 17 and the darn thing is a tack driver. I'd clean you're 22 really well and buy the 17. Alot of the time we run hundreds if not thousands of rounds through our 22s with out a total strip down clean and they start jamming. Thats what I'd do first and buy the 17.
the 597 only has a few hundred round through it , and it has been stripped and cleaned last "off" season , these 597 hang easily..the bolt assembly on these is quite heavy for a 22 , and if the ammo is not strong enough it doesn't eject the cartridge fast enough and and get's hung between the bolt and the eject port. i think it's just a issue with the 22 ammo not having enough power to cycle the heavy bolt. and eject the spend cartridge.