HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - anyone use the leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Well even though my ACCYRA's were already sighted in using 105 and 110gr's of Pyrodox RS and a 240gr XTP Mag with T7 Primers, I decided the ACCURA using 110gr's was'nt the one I was gonna use right away for Hunting so I re-sighted it in using the recommended load of 100gr's.
Even though Leupold recommeded a 250gr bullet I figured my 240gr XTP was close enough to do to test.
I sighted in dead on at 100yds on 6 power, then switched the power selector to the (20 guage shotgun or 2-pellet setting) Then I used the bottom of the circle as stated by them for the 150yd mark. I shot 5 times at this range and I was within a suitable group (about 2-3") for this range. I was'nt as high as I suspected I would be but, 2 shots were above the center of the target and 3 were by it. Good enough for a 150 yd shot as this would probably be as long of a shot as I would take, possibly if I decided to shoot further I figured I'd better test the 200yd mark to see if I would be up to it group wise.
I cleaned out the Mler and reloaded and shot 5 times at 200yds using the first circle on the scope for the 200yd mark. Well let me say first I consider myself a pretty good shot, Im great out to 100yds, pretty good out to 150, but 200yds is a long poke! Needless to say I got them all on paper, and believe it or not they were all in the 6" circle I had on the target. Is this good? Im really not so sure. I did'nt shoot anymore as I did'nt have the time and my arm was sore as I have been shooting a-lot lately to get ready for the up comming season, mostly at 100yds. If I can get my 200yd group's down to about 3-4" I may consider a 200yd shot using Leupolds recommended load to use the scope there way, but my load of 105gr's was much tighter at these ranges. But untill I feel real confident I probably will stick to 100-150yds as my max as I owe my best shot to the game I Hunt.
Conclusion, the Leupold Ultimate Slam Scope does what it suppos-to do......but the more and more I think about it I was shooting much better using the 105-110gr's of powder and my groups were much tighter. So I will probably go back to the way I was using the scope as I said earlier in this forum as it worked better for me my way and I was more confident it my shooting. I guess the (Custom load) that your MLer shoots is the one you should use, not what Leupold says, unless it's the load that works for you.
And that's all I have to say about that..........
(BP)