HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New bow given to me- any comments on whether it is any good?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM
carptracker
Fork Horn

Default New bow given to me- any comments on whether it is any good?

I was given a compound bow today. My son and I have been bowfishing a bit with recurves that we bought on ebay, real cheapos and very low poundage, but we shoot some fish. What I know about archery could be written on the back of my hand with a chisel-tip magic marker. This bow says "Robin Hood" on front, and on the back it says "Quicksilver". It says "bow set at 50#", peak wt. range 50-60, draw length 29.3", and AMO bow string length 40". I plan to set it up for bowfishing, eventually, before spring anyway. I know nothing of the history of the bow. Any tips? Anything I should do to make sure it doesn't blow up in my face? Doesn't seem like it takes 50# to pull this bow, but it seems like a good weight for bowfishing, although like I say, I know nearly nothing. String looks to be in good shape, and wheels don't squeak. It is set up with sighting pins and a quiver, but I can pull them off. It has a thing that I guess is an arrow rest, looks like a spring with one end pulled out. There is nothing obvious on the string that looks like where you would nock the arrow. Seems like you'd need some indicator that shows you where to nock the arrow so you don't get it too high or low on the string. Our recurves have metal rings at the nock - because Mofishhunter and Carpsniper made our strings for us - I don't know if that is standard.