Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
New bow given to me- any comments on whether it is any good? >

New bow given to me- any comments on whether it is any good?

Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

New bow given to me- any comments on whether it is any good?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default New bow given to me- any comments on whether it is any good?

I was given a compound bow today. My son and I have been bowfishing a bit with recurves that we bought on ebay, real cheapos and very low poundage, but we shoot some fish. What I know about archery could be written on the back of my hand with a chisel-tip magic marker. This bow says "Robin Hood" on front, and on the back it says "Quicksilver". It says "bow set at 50#", peak wt. range 50-60, draw length 29.3", and AMO bow string length 40". I plan to set it up for bowfishing, eventually, before spring anyway. I know nothing of the history of the bow. Any tips? Anything I should do to make sure it doesn't blow up in my face? Doesn't seem like it takes 50# to pull this bow, but it seems like a good weight for bowfishing, although like I say, I know nearly nothing. String looks to be in good shape, and wheels don't squeak. It is set up with sighting pins and a quiver, but I can pull them off. It has a thing that I guess is an arrow rest, looks like a spring with one end pulled out. There is nothing obvious on the string that looks like where you would nock the arrow. Seems like you'd need some indicator that shows you where to nock the arrow so you don't get it too high or low on the string. Our recurves have metal rings at the nock - because Mofishhunter and Carpsniper made our strings for us - I don't know if that is standard.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The name quicksilver sounded familiar, but I can only find a "little john" model and it looks old. (Make that VERY old)

Does yours look like this one?
I don't know if I'd try to use it or not. Make sure the strings all look good. There's no doubt they've been on it for a long time.
Yes, you'll need a nocking point (the little bass thingy) put on it to make sure your arrow is located correctly on the string.
Any decent shop can put one on for you. Cost you a bit more than if fishy-poo or I did it though.

Otherwise, I guess what do ya have to lose?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry the link didn't copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBIN-HOOD-COMPO...item3a547083dd
Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I'll have to take it to the shop. I'm a bit afraid it might blow up on me, but it looks like it is in great condition. Much better than the one in that ebay link. I'm guessing it has been little used. String looks nearly perfect condition to me. I think the arms are made of fiberglass. I figured any random bow would be too short of a draw length for me (as you know, I'm a big boy) but this one seems very comfortable to me. Is the 29.3 inch draw length pretty normal or is it longer than usual? Is that even adjustable on a compound bow if I want to change it?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

29 inch draw is a bit more than average.
...and yes you are in the upper end of the "wingspan" spectrum. LOL
It probably is in great shape. Many of these bows were never used much. But just the age of the strings is enough to make me a bit nervous.
Good Luck Duane.