HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Missed the biggest buck of my life. :(
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Pope94/IA
Nontypical Buck

Default Missed the biggest buck of my life. :(

Thats right... I missed him... Right over his back.

Around 4:45 I noticed that there was a big buck in the field with his head low and following some does. He went over the hill so I thought that was the last of him. Guess not. Around 5:10 he came back over the hill and I did a doe bleat to him. He popped his head up and started towards me. He started about 150 yards away and the whole 150 yards he walked he was grunting the WHOLE time. I could hear him. It was pretty cool to witness. My stand is in a big tree (not sure what it is, maybe oak) but their are like big branches going every where so I am really really hidden in there. But if you stand up the only shooting lane you have behind the tree is in very small area and well of course that buck walked right into that lane. I never had time to range him so I did a quick guess and I guessed around 10 yards. Well... my bow doesn't have a 10 yard pin. The first pin starts at 20. So im using the 20 yard and aiming low... very low. I swear I was pretty much aiming below the buck. I shot. Right over his back. 10 yards... how? not sure. I guess beind so close and being at an angle doesn't help much.
Im not an expert scorer but I can get a pretty close estimate and I would have said he was 155-160.
I have been having some pretty crappy luck the past few weeks. Well maybe just on tuesdays...

Last tuesday I shot a nice 8 pointer that would have gone 135. But the shot was high and we looked for ever but couldn't find him. Very little blood. like 3 or 4 drops about 400 yards from the stand. But then today (tuesday) I miss the biggest buck I have ever seen while in a stand. I can't wait to see what next tuesday brings...