HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recurve/longbow/Compound
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
I've been bow hunting only for 24 years. I used a compound the 1st 9 or so of them years and now have been using a recurve since, the same one to be exact. My yardage hasn't changed In the least from compound to my recurve and probably never will. My max yardage with my compound was In that 20 to 25 yard range and on most days my max yardage with my recurve Is In that 20 yard range, sometimes 25 If I'm on fire with my shooting. Will I ever be comfortable taking a 30 yard shot with my recurve? I don't know, can't answer that until the time comes.
It makes a huge difference to me. I'm lucky to be consistent at over 15 yards with my longbow, but 20 - 30 yards with my compound is a slam dunk.

I don't know if the problem with the longbow is me, the bow or just that I need someone to show me how to get the right arrow set up or what. All I know is that while I haven't gotten a deer with my longbow yet, if I can get one at 15 yards or less now, I can kill it. I'm still waiting for that to happen.