HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pass those smaller bucks.
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 AM
The Deer Destroyer
Typical Buck

Default Pass those smaller bucks.

I have been passing on smaller bucks for the past 5 years. I have taken some nice bucks, the nicest was about 120 class typical. The past 2 years I have been passin on 120 class bucks. Last year I passed on a nice typical 10 point that prolly went 120s, and I had him at about 12-15 yards and had my sights on him, but then said no; got to pass on those bucks so they get a little bigger.
This year, my dad and I have seen some very nice bucks. 2 of the bucks we saw were the biggest bucks we've seen so far this season. One was a typical and the other was a non-typical, and they both were 180s if not 170s. Along with those bucks we have seen at least 6 bucks that go 130-160. Also, we have some nice 120 class bucks that we're hoping make it to next year, so they can be 130s-140s. So, if you can start passing on those small bucks, you'll see a great increase in the number of bigger bucks that you'll see.
When my dad and I weren't passing on smaller bucks, we would see a biug buck here and there. Now we see them alot more. This will work for you if you start passing on those smaller bucks, and eventually you'll be rewarded with a very nice buck; and probably the biggest buck you've taken and possibly be a record buck.
With the rut right around the corner, you'll see lots of small bucks chasing does and coming to your calls. Let them walk, and in 2 years they'll be a 130 or bigger. I've had 14 bucks I could have shot this year, but I tell myself in a couple of years, they'll be shooters. The moire smaller bucks you let go, the more bigger bucks you'll have where you hunt. So guys, pass them smaller bucks, and let them turn into big bucks!