HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Old but new to me mk-85
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 08:53 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default Mk-85

The MK-85 is undoubtedly one of the finest inlines ever made. Even with today's standards it is one tough rifle to beat. And it was truly the Cadillac(Rols Royce) in the 80's and 90's.

The rifle definitely has the finest trigger that has ever been put in any MZ. And it is still better than any trigger I can think of in any of today's MZ's.

The rifle will shoot(accurately) any projectile you load in it. They just flat out shoot. Conical, round ball or saboted bullet.

The only problem I had with them was that you could get some blowback into the trigger mechanism. I would recommend you clean the trigger. Doing this is very simple. There is one bolt that holds the trigger mech. to the barreled action. Just remove that bolt. Take a spray brake cleaner and spray the heck out of every nook and cranny you can find in the trigger housing. After you do that then let it sit for a minute or two. Then take a can of air or an air hose and blow out the trigger mechanism. I did this a couple of times a year. This is all the maintenance the trigger needs.

I have owned a few of these over the years. And many friends own them also. The only advantage some of the newer MZ's have is that they are slightly easier to clean. You may save one or two minutes. But that is about it. However I have not seen any of the newer MZ's that will outshoot the original MK-85. I really do believe that.

Also you have different options for ignition systems.

I have a peep sight on my MK-85. And I shoot a 525 grain conical that I cast. I push it with 120 grains of 3F Black Powder. This load is a real hand full. It is my elk load. And in the light MK-85 it really has a kick. But that is OK. My MK-85 would be one of the last rifles to go if I had to sell my guns. Tom.