HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you guys stay warm?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
dvalliere
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
Pretty simple question. I had about 4 layers on this morning and i still froze,and it wasent even that cold out. Im gonna get some hand warmers and try that, but i wanna hear how you guys stay warm. Thoughts?
Don't sweat any more than you can possibly help it (add layers after you're at your stand and cooled down).

Use the right layers: wicking materials (e.g. wool, polypro, underarmor, etc.) never cotton. Don't even think about using cotton. This is particularly true of your feet. (Unscented antiperspirant on the feet can help with sweaty, then cold, feet.)

Make sure the layers aren't too tight. Restricted blood flow makes you colder.

Handwarmers are good. Let them get out in the air for a while before you use them. (I like to get mine out 30-60 minutes before I'll be sitting in my stand.)

Sticky-body-warmers: like handwarmers but larger and have an adhesive back. Stick 'em on your kidneys, with one layer between you and them. Keep your core/trunk area warm and you'll do better on the legs and arms.

Hat. Hat. Hat.

Move a little. Obviously, hunting, you have to be still. But wiggling toes inside boots and/or flexing muscles all helps to keep blood moving.

And an outer layer that stops the wind but is still breathable to let moisture out is helpful too--when the wind cuts through your layers, you get cold fast. Keep the wind out.